ruff
Conspicuous consumption
Rep
Drives: 987 S .2, Lemond Zurich

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast. View Post
Sounds like you really want one.

Me too.

A lot of people want a Porsche. Hence the pricing. It's the way of the (capitalistic) world.

More power to 'em. And LSDs, too.

Bruce
Yes I do.

However, what I don't want is a Porsche. Bi-Xenons aren't even standard on this car. Most people, at least honest ones, want a Porsche because of its accompanying "prestige." Quite frankly, for me, owning a Porsche would be a bit embarrassing, not to mention a financial albatross for years to come. What required excellent money management skills to be in a position to purchase a Porsche, is now abandoned in one fell swoop, in favor of over the top conspicuous consumption in all its transparency.

The porsche name brand is a licensed trademark where one must come up with an extra 10 k just to have the privilege to continue to pay above and beyond reason for every bit of maintenance, part, accessory and everything else associated with the car. It is the gift to oneself that honors Porsche with a seat at your financial table to determine your economic viability well beyond the life expectancy of the car.

Cayman up side? Plenty. For starters, how about a lack of fluff and bug ridden hocus pocus electronic "aids" that are nothing more than a distraction to the joy of actually driving. These overly complicated distractions are always at ones beckon call, just begging for the opportunity to malfunction at the most inopportune time

Mid engine, and a lightweight. What more needs to be said when talking about the physics associated with acceleration/cornering. Telepathic steering and a 6mt with Mauser like bolt action. How about Brakes that resist fade lap after a lap, excellent storage space for a two seater and lest we forget the lightweight manually adjusted seats that come standard. The Cayman is 100% pure sports car, a vehicle that it's creators resisted the pressures to water down for mass consumption. It is lean and fit, something of a by gone age that is missing in the fabric of today's Americana.

Too bad the Cayman S happens to be a Porsche.