View Single Post
      02-13-2013, 08:24 PM   #1
Sleeper519
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3 DCT

Tracking turbo/SC cars?

I've been thinking about future track car strategies lately, with a particular eye on the next gen M3. Now I love my current E92 and tend to keep my cars for a long time. Am thinking about getting in a little deeper with this one and getting more heavily modded for the track--maybe making it a dedicated one. So whether I go SC here or get tempted and buy a new turbo M3/4 when they come out or a tittied-up E36 M3(maybe with a SC), I have concerns about tracking a FI car. I've heard about overheating issues on the SC engines and turbo cars in general and am worried about reliability and how they would hold up to heavy track day abuse over time. I know there are a lot of turbocharged track cars out running without problems (?) but many are purpose-built race cars, etc.

I'd hate to invest time and money into a FI car, only to be able to run for a few laps each session before heat soak sits me back in the paddock. I feel like I can run my S65 all day long.

Are these concerns valid at all? What is the general consensus and experience out there?

Thanks.

2008 M3 Coupe / DCT // StopTech BBK 380/355 / Pagid RS29 / Motul / Apex Arc-8 / BFG R1S / Ground Control / MS filter / Performance spoiler / BPM tune // Road Atlanta 1:39.70 / VIR Full 2:10.87 / Barber 1:42.20
Appreciate 0