driftflo
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M2 F87, M3 E92 & E46, C63, 911

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by spr View Post
Hi, I've read all of your posts and it seems your the authority on the e92 M3 lsd. I'm told mine is toast now and has been dying for some time. The car is at the shop now and am contemplating options of new replacement unit (factory) or going to an OS Giken as it seems the most loved. Thoughts? The car has 50k miles on it and the lsd is toast, if that gives you an idea of how hard I drive it. I grew up racing cars so I drive it hard for about 2h pretty flat out in the canyons around here every weekend. I absolutely hate how the diff is currently being all wasted it is so bad I thought the right rear suspension was broken!

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!
dear spr,

the stock unit is not intended for hard driving. so a worn out unit after 50k miles of hard driving is quite normal.

i would not buy a os giken unit anymore. at least the standard setup for the M3 is senseless. if you want to do a lot of research and development it possibly makes sense. if i have some leisure time i will try a 3rd setup and will post my findings here.

i drove a different/custom osg setup that i suggested to the owner in a M3 E46. it worked quite ok on a drift event but i did not have the chance to check all things and driving situations to really judge about it.

if anybody suggests a osg to you ask him if he can exactly tell you what setup (clutchpacks, ramps, preload springs) he is driving. and check if he is really into performance driving or just cruising around on the racetrack.

i tried to get infos on the unit and the certain setups of other guys and shops/sellers here in the forums. so far i got nothing useful at all... so i have my doubts if anybody really did any real testing with this unit.

the titan traction master out of the box setup is useless too. but you can fix it easily. so this unit would be more interesting in my opinion.

the best out of the box unit is the drexler gt4 unit. but massively expensive and it need to be rebuilt regularly!

the "normal" drexler (non-gt4) is also quite good, although you can optimise it depending on your preferences as well.

currently i am building some own lsd units based on the zf/drexler design. but with own clutches (thicker molybdenum surface, harder steel, more durable...), optimized oil flow, reduced weight, various custom preload springs, quick and smooth reaction... in short, i tried to sort out all things that i didn't like on the units i tested so far.

i will build each unit to the specific customer needs. so i need to know what someone wants to do with his car, how the setup of the car is and then i will suggest and build the unit with the according setup.

these units and custom setups are already installed in some E92 and E46 street, track and driftcars and feedback is great so far.

i will post some pictures and further details asap.
Appreciate 2
DrFerry6727.00