swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Making up definitions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast. View Post
The classification of an automatic transmission depends on whether or not you have to shift it. If you don't have to shift, it's an automatic.
Well that is one "working" definition. However, 99.9% of folks will adopt a definition similar to mine based on the DESIGN of the transmission, not the most coarse description of how a user interacts with the transmission.

Quote:
As a for instance, are CVTs not automatics?
No it is not an automatic; based on its fundamental design and operational principles it is it's own category, the CVT category. It is so crystal clear to me that a CVT is not an automatic. Another case and point as to why your definition is neither useful nor a standard definition.

Quote:
As a comment on lightness and efficiency, you're going to be hard-pressed to find a lighter, more efficient transmission than the automatic in the Toyota Prius.
The exception does not the rule make, ugh.

Quote:
PS - You and I are going to disagree forever on this point, and also on your opinion of the "lossy nature" of an automatic. That's yesterday's news when you take a look at the current offerings. Probably the best evidence of this is that autos typically hold their own in the EPA ratings. Some are a little better, and some are a little worse, but they're certainly efficient.
It is likely that I (and 99.9% of others) will disagree with you.

I have not done a detailed statistical study of the mpg variations between autos and MTs. If one did and removed confounding variables I'd be willing to be you would find mpg MT > mpg AT. Just use some common sense, all the mechanisms, all the hydraulics and pumps, the multiple clutches, the extra weight. All compared to a few directly engaging shafts with gears, bathed in some lubricant. Hmmm ... which is more efficient???
Appreciate 0