04-29-2010, 12:14 AM   #32
gts135
German car nut
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 135iM - Cashmere silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoli007 View Post
I cant stand when its said that F1 needs to be road relevant. I agree with some members here that it doesnt.

It should be the absolute highest form of motorsport. I think the best way to do it is this:

There needs to be a policeable budget cap. Now before you scream, keep reading. It should be 150-200 million euro. You and I should not be able to gather a ton of money and race, it should be left to the highest level of people in the world.

Now, given the budget cap. Rules would be reduced to basic safety rules. You want to run a V12? go ahead, Turbo V8, sure. Make a formula for the engine that somewhat equates power, meaning if you run a V12 you're limited to x amount of liters, or of you do turbo then you can only have y liters of displacement, etc...

Then, give them nice big slick tyres so they have good mechanical grip.

The idea with this would be teams and manufactures can go nuts developing whatever they want WITHIN the budget cap. They can compete on the idea that finding the ideal balance between motor, chassis and aero development for the most competitive combo.

Though I love the racing in F1 now, its kind of boring. And I say boring not because the races are boring. Try watching older races when there were only two teams that could compete and the rest were way off their pace.

The fact that there are 4-6 teams that could potentially challenge for a win each weekend is unprecedented. BUT its kind of artificial. There have been so many things standardized that its almost a super high level spec series.

Thats why now everyone copies each other. The cars look VERY similar, as soon as someone has an F duct everyone copies it.
Wouldn't it be neat to see the likes of the Tyrell P34 show up. Don't think it will happen. Or the vacuum car - that was a Brabham? Chapparal had one but not F1 of course.
Appreciate 0