View Single Post
      01-09-2015, 09:27 AM   #18
swifty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSPKris View Post
The DCT will perform at its best between 180-220F. Anything outside of these ranges can damage the transmission under severe driving conditions. For example, if the transmission is not up to optimal temperature (160F) it can allow extreme clutch slippage under load. If the transmission is above (220F), the friction plates can prematurely start to delaminate.
What exactly does this mean. Are we to drive at a lower drivelogic till the engine is warmed up? I'm assuming we should go by the oil gauge since there is nothing that will tell us if the tranny is at optimal level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJL Custom View Post
I have countless hours of datalogging related to these cars for performance reference going towards product design and staging. I have full real time datalogging capabilities for the BMW DCT as well. I can see everything the trans is programmed to do. Driving a DCT in a lower Drivelogic setting is like feathering the crap out of the clutch on a manual gearbox to make for smoother, less jerky response and engagement. Remember, a DCT is essentially a manual gearbox with a computer actuated manual multiplate clutch assembly.
Will appreciate more data on this. Does it make a difference if it is D5 or S5?
Past: Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Saph Black e60 530, Space Grey N54 e92 335, Mineral White N55 e92 335
Appreciate 0