View Single Post
      11-10-2008, 12:39 PM   #32
jbeene
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16 435i GC

I had an 1100 km road trip to bring her home but I did manage about 160km of city driving before hitting the highway.

Once on the highway I varied the revs shifting up and down from 3rd through 6th trying not to go below 2000 and rarely going much over 5000. I used 1/4 to 1/2 throttle the entire time.

This was an exceedingly painful process on a 10 hour drive...

Then when I got home I did almost entirely city driving, almost never over 5500 (except maybe twice and only to about 6500 to dispatch a jitbag no merge clownface) until I got to the 2000km mark.

In this time it used about 1/4 litre of oil. Took it in for the break in service and I wonder if they even changed the oil as it reads at exactly the same level as when I took it in

I'm now at about 2500 km and have taken up to 8000 or so a few times, it's pretty hard not to. I read the secondary break in in the manual as saying that you shouldn't run it wide open for long periods until after 5000km. So I don't feel so bad about winding it out every now and then. The toughest part seems to be finding enough open raod ahead of my to let her rip

I'm planning on changing the oil again at 5000km's and then going to 10000km intervals, though at the rate I put mileage on it will probably turn into and annual oil change instead.