View Single Post
      05-26-2010, 02:48 PM   #31
Alex@Alpine
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I have no clue what HID kit if any you guys have tested, our "ignitor" does not release any heat what so ever. New age digital ballast release very little heat, probably less then your LED pack, and our ignitor does not release no heat.

Our bulbs are made with a glass that is mixed with plastic, it costs us more but releases much less heat then your standard HID bulbs.

I am confused why would you even bring up the ignitor, it isn't even placed not even close to the headlights.

I can not tell you how many kits we have sold, review our sales and customer feedback all accross the 1 series-3 series forums; not a single customer with heat problems, or mad at the light output,

I always see people selling their LEDs in the for sale section, not their HIDs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
No mean to offend - no one brought up wire splicing as the topic was directed at uneven brightness of the rings.

However, you bring up a great point - neither of the LED kits (LED or AiB) require splicing or external ballasts. LEDs utilize a small DriverPack that is mounted externally on LUX and inside the headlamp on AiB units for a completely stealth install.

We tried the HID route over 3 years ago. While it was much cheaper, we decided not to go this route due it simply exaggerates what is already there: uneven light output between the rings. Heat is a different story, and it pertains to the HID ignitor, not the ballast. A higher Kelvin temperature bulb is typically used in order to limit light output so the fiber lines to not blind oncoming drivers, but the end result is a blue colored ring.

I have some test data we'll be releasing shortly on the HIDs as well as some interesting installs that have come through the shop throughout the past.

Claiming the brightest light output means nothing if the light output is not properly distributed - this is a limitation of the headlight design, not the light source. Angel Eyes (whether stock or aftermarket) are a signature look for these vehicles that is probably the first mod seen when an M3 is spotted on the road.

Stay tuned.
Appreciate 0