10-12-2012, 05:41 PM   #3902
E90Mario
Brigadier General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: ESS E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
Both are good from what I've heard. I prefer Canon only because of the brand, and the fact I wouldn't have to worry about whether that lens would be compatible on future Canon bodies or not.

You can also look at the Tokina 11-16mm which a lot of people rave about.
Thanks for the reply Ashu! I'm leaning more towards the Canon side too. I think i'll rent them both this weekend and test them out to see which one I prefer before making the purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panicos81 View Post
+1 on the Tokina Mario.. its great
Thank you for your input Panicos, I'm going to look into it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
I have the EF-S 10-22. At the time of purchase (in 2006, I think, when I got my XTi) I didn't really know about the Sigma; as a matter of fact I don't know now if it was available then.

That being said I won't knock Sigma as a brand. I have one of their lenses and love it. So I can only praise the EF-S 10-22 but can't offer a comparison between the two.

The Canon EF-S 10-22 is reasonably sharp even when stopped down, and provides a very useful range. I would say on range alone, the Tokina 11-16 (as someone else mentioned) would be my least favorite because you lose 1mm at the wide end, and if you want to zoom in past 16, you're changing lenses.

There have been a few times when I have shot the 10-22 at focal lengths above 16mm and it's nice not to have to switch to my EF-S 17-85 for those times.

I've posted some pics in this thread that were all taken with the 10-22:
http://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=747498

This shot I posted in the snapshots thread last night was also taken with the 10-22 @15mm:
http://www.6post.com/forums/showpost...&postcount=389

Here's a close one that I think has a good show of sharpness. There is 0 sharpening on this photo, I actually reduced the defualt sharpening of 25 in LR3 because I thought it was so sharp SOOC:

_MG_8198-Edit.jpg by ddk632, on Flickr

Hope this helps at least on the Canon side of the decision
WOW! Thank you so much for taking your time and writing this David. Your examples are great, and the shot of your motorcycle in the snapshot of the day thread is just beautiful. As I told Chewy I am leaning more towards the Canon side too, but to be fair I'm going to rent both lenses this weekend and test them out to see which one is for me before making my purchase. Again thanks for your informative post, its definitely going to help me with the decision making process!