View Single Post
      11-06-2012, 06:43 AM   #33
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3an View Post
not hating, just perplexed to spend a lot of $$ on something to sit. And just cause its driven everyday does not at all mean it's "road rashed to shit"... My car is immaculate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
I have a lot of fun in my M3 in the winter. I would have a lot less fun in a beater. And whoever says a supercharged car is harder to drive in the winter obviously has never had one. Just don't put your foot down as far.

I'll agree that you may not be able to use all the power as often, but disagree that the car is uncontrollable simply because it has the potential to make more power than stock. I could drive a supercharged car all day long and never make boost if I wanted to bore myself. I have driven supercharged and turbo M3s without traction control in New Hampshire winters for years.

For those who prefer to drive beaters while they preserve their M3s for the next owners, go for it. Many of us like to buy nice used cars from people like you.
Again, I don't think there's anything wrong with having a second car, especially if it's a wagon to split the mileage with the M3. You are of course assuming that I'm going to sell my car, which I don't plan to in a long long time. As I said, you can get yourself a really nice daily for under $7k no problem. I'm looking at wagons (Legacy GT, V70R, E34/E39) because it provides utility that my E92 just doesn't have.

Here are examples where I would take my "beater" over the M3:
1) I'm going to Austin for the F1 race in a couple of weekends. I'd much prefer to leave my beater at the airport for 5 nights than my M3. Have you seen how people park?

2) If I go to the grocery store, which is only a 5 min drive away. Car is not even warm yet by the time I get there. I'm pretty religious about bringing the car up to temp

3) Again, the dog. Especially if you have 2. Mine is a hyperactive lab that wants to jump up on the seats. And he sheds like crazy. Have fun trying to clean all the parcel shelf.

4) Not that this applies to the OP, but my M3 is out of warranty. I had to drive my E30 that was running like absolute crap (needs new cylinder head) while I replaced the throttle valve actuator. Between waiting for parts and figuring out how to DIY, my M3 was out for a good week. What would I have done if I didn't have a beater?

I can go on and on about why having a beater, especially a wagon or SUV is useful. I still plan to bring my M3 out 3 times a week, it's not like I'm bubble wrapping it for the weekend only. But I definitely wouldn't have a problem going to work in a 540iT either.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0