07-23-2011, 12:43 AM   #10
tonymac1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 40i, 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion5 View Post
Wow all of that is the opposite of the truth.

First off let me start by saying that I've seen every color on the M3 in person after spending months researching every option, and I've spoken to more owners and dealership sales people thatn I can keep track of.

What I'm about to say may be difficult to gasp to non-artists but the M3 has a lot more form than most cars, meaning that it has many subtle bulges. The car looks downright boring in dark colors and amazing in lighter colors. Almost two thirds of BMW salespeople I've talked to will back up this point, and so will many owners.

As for red looking good at night and black looking good, the absolute opposite is the truth. I have many very nice cars, and I've had unlimited access to plenty of supercars in my life. I used to only own black cars, and the single reason I stopped buying black cars is that even in a supercar, nobody would notice them at night. They simply blend in, and you might as well be driving a civic. Black is by far the worst color for a car to be at night. On the other hand red is actually one of the best. If you know anything about street light spectrums you know red is a great color to be visible at night.

You then go on to mention that red is hard to keep clean, compared to black. Well like I said I started with only black cars and now have only red cars. Black is the absolute worst color to keep clean, while red actually is one of the easiest. The high saturation and brightness actually overpowers dirt and hides it better than any other colors except high metalic silvers and beiges.

In any case black is firmly one the worst in every way that you mentioned and red is one of the best. Not to mention people used to plow into my cars left and right to the point where it happened at least twice a year when I owned black cars, with red cars it's never happened.
First, thank you for all the info and advice! I really appreciate that.

Seems like most of you will suggest a MR rather than black. I think black is very low profile but somehow too common right now, especially for a M3. White and black i believe are the most common colors for E9x M3s. For the first time I loved a red car was seeing the M3 coupe at 2011 Geneva auto show, the car was equipped with carbon fiber front lip and rear spoiler, plus the carbon fiber roof, it looks fantastic with the color combo.

If it it way easier to keep a red car clean, i think i would definitely go for a MR one.
Appreciate 0