View Single Post
      04-23-2012, 10:32 AM   #20
Throtex
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estoril Blue View Post
The primary reason for closed windows is driver safety. That is so in the event of an incident - safety workers are able to immediately reach, assess and assist the driver and instructor. The window is also the alternate exit means should you car have the door pinned closed - or power is lost at the window motor.

Lest you think this doesn't happen often - it happened yesterday at Summit Point. The driver door was pinned closed against the wall.

I don't see how the car is safer with the window closed.

I spent all of Sunday driving on track in the cold rain with the windows open. No harm.
Sounds like I missed an interesting Sunday (I was only able to make it out for Saturday this time). Saturday was great, right up until it started pouring when it was time to pack up.

To the original subject -- if anyone's curious about keeping the interior clean on wet track days, my note is simply that the car can take it. I had to swap my slicks back out to put my street rubber on in the middle of a torrential downpour. Rear seats folded down, three extremely wet slicks standing up in the back pushed through from the trunk, fourth lying down in back, plus my floor jack and tub of crap. Had to sit in the driver's seat with soaking wet clothes (I carry a towel around so I did put that down).

Got home, unloaded the next day. Vacuumed a bit, applied some leather cleaner and leather conditioner to a few spots and the somewhat damp driver's seat, and everything's back to normal.

No need to baby the car.
Appreciate 0