12-16-2007, 03:43 AM   #63
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Officially from Nissan they say the shift times are 0.2s and not 0.03s but they also say it's official output is 480hp.

But after reading is review in EVO they said that it's shifts were much more noticeable than VAG's DSG box so chances are it is higher than the 0.03s you used as you estimate.
Either way .2 s shift for a dual clutch would be absurd. Good humans can shift in ~.25 s, a great autobox in ~.1, Ferraris new sequential in ~.05 s and DSG from Audi/VW (likley) shifts in .03 s. The quote directy from Nissan that their system takes .2 s to shift is probably a typo and surely is incorrect. Even if their system "sucks" as far as shift time and is worse then Ferarris sequential (which is not a dual clutch) it may be ~.07s. Using .03 in my simulations would then be in error .04 s per shift. This is absolutely insignificant.

The key thing as far as the simulation goes is that CarTest uses a std. shift time of .5s for a MT, not counting clutching time which is counted separately. I use .2-.3 for my std. MT simulations with .05-.1 for clutch operations. The key here is that any DCT should shift about 10 times faster than this. Get it anywhere in that ball park and you are good to go. So the lesson here is why fuss about the milliseconds when you are shooting for and expecting simulation accuracy of tenths of seconds?

Last but not least a more "noticeable" shift is not synonymous with a slow shift. They are related but there are other factors involved as well.
Appreciate 0