09-27-2009, 10:47 AM   #11
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierman64 View Post
Lucid, I'm getting a E36 tomorrow that is going to be my track car, so I'll be running a lot more events next season. My goal is to do 5-7 events a season. The ultimate goal is to become an instructor. The E36 is stock so little by little I'll add parts to it and lighten it up.

Next year, I'm hoping to run Mont Tremblant in it, the first weekend in Aug.

Thanks for posting the video, the Glen if my favorite track.
Good luck with the E36 purchase. Keep in mind there is considerable cost associated with making a E36 M3 with street miles track worthy. You should replace the control arms before getting on the track because the ball joints have a well documented history of failing under load. You don't want to risk that kind of failure as it happens during a hard g turn. And there is a good chance you'll need to do the bushings and the engine/transmission mounts as those wear out. If you do, go to stiffer (but not solid) parts.

I just had all that done in my E30. The rear trailing arm bushings were gone and the trailing arms had considerable lateral movement and the suspension had slop. That might have contributed to the car being somewhat loose at Mt. Tremblant (as you observed!). And the right engine mount was destroyed and it was sitting on the subframe. Then of course, you should have it caged and all that.

Anyway, you know all this because you owned and tracked your E36, but I thought I'd remind you. The costs do add up, and I kind of did not exactly factor some of them in correctly prior to the purchase.