Thread: Fuel consensus?
View Single Post
      01-31-2014, 04:01 PM   #26
Lone Wolf Pack
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldinadis View Post
LoneWolf - not being asinine but have you cleared/reset the trip computer? If you clear it you may get a better sense of your mileage. When I bought my car in November I was averaging 17l/100. I'm down to 14.7l. Conservative driving style and mostly city with the occasional highway jaunt. It's funny but it really is subtle changes I made which improved the mileage... Downside is I shift frequently and keeps revs down generally.
Yes I have many times. My fuel consumption has stabilized in the last month. I'm now down to 15l/100km, but I do most of it on highway. However, I noticed that even when I'm in the city my guage doesn't fluctuate as much anymore. My driving style is like yours, keep the revs low, so I usually drive at a higher gear than I probably should. The other thing I do is use the Power button for greater throttle response. Not sure if it gets me better mileage.

On another note, I recently saw a Youtube video where this guy filmed his console while he did various speeds with cruise control. His fuel consumption guage was going all over the place. At 80km/hr the guage would drop to 8-9l/100km, then as he sped up to 100km/hr, you can see the guage jump up to ~10l/100km. At 110km/hr it went to ~11l/100km all the way up to about 14-15l/100km at 160km/hr. I don't ever see my guage adjusting that rapidly to changes in speed so I'm not sure how his car does that. He had the same make and model year too.

Right now I'm resetting my trip odometer on each refuel to get a sense of what my actual mileage is per tank. That way I can calculate exactly what I'm getting per litre.

I always wondered if there was some sensor in the car that determines how much fuel is burned. Or whether it is strictly determined by my driving style.
Appreciate 0