View Single Post
      11-29-2008, 04:49 AM   #140
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
south, I hope you're right because that all sounds pretty good. If things do go down like that, then there might not be much to lament.

However, what about the things discussed in the article? Will the next M5 use the N64-derived motor that is in the "X6 M", as this article claims? If it does, I think there's not really a whole lot of difference than if they were to use the N54 in an M3. Do you disagree? Now of course, it doesn't mean that they will use the N54 as the basis for an M3 engine. That would be jumping to conclusions a little too prematurely. I am just saying that once the M5 goes that route (if it did) it can no longer be argued that BMW will develop unique turbo engines for all their M passenger cars. Maybe people here won't care much about what the M5 is powered by though? Arguably this whole thread is off topic for this board anyway. Maybe. But it would still be tough not to worry how things might come out a few years later if this same philosophy is applied to the M3.
Even if the next M3's engine is based on the N54 engine it doesn't mean it's just that engine with more boost. I'm sure there's some serious development going on to make an engine out of the existing one that's worth "wearing" the M badge. Compared to the S65 the N54 in its current version has two big disadvantages: Throttle response and redline. As far as the latter is concerned we might not see 8400rpm redline in such an engine, but I'm sure it might be in the ballpark of 8000. That was sufficient for the last M3, so it should be good enough for the next one. The other concern, throttle response, is something KERS will address. While the turbos need some time to spool up, the electric motor of KERS will address instant response. So technically it's possible to build an turbo engine that drives and behaves like an NA engine in almost every way and considering M philosophy and some recent statements that's most likely the way ///M division is heading. Hope this doesn't turn out be wishful thinking eventually.

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0