montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by voidhack View Post
Oh crap.

So... I bought my 2008 e90 at the start of summer. I was absolutely ready to drive it this winter. As winter creeps up, the more I look to it, the more I find excuses not to. Mostly because I am worried about ground clearance and traction.

montreal_red: I admit seeing your car like that makes me wonder ... how drivable is it ? Any issues acting like a snow plow with the low clearance. What tires are you running ?

tehDealer: e93 ? really, do you have a picture of it with the top down in winter ?

BMW mechanic says to keep minimum gaz in the tank with a stabilizer, a long-time porsche mechanic basically says id does not matter as tanks are not metallic anymore.
montreal is pretty good with snow clearing. even after a huge snow storm, the roads are cleared within a day or two, this is assuming you dont live in the outskirts of course. i live right by a main street so usually no issues for me.

the stock ride height is also not that low. you shouldnt have too many issues with snow. right now i am lowered slightly on KW v3 so we'll see how it goes this winter.

i am using pirelli sottozero winter tires. they are decent tires and i've had no issues using them on icy or snowy roads. but i heard that blizzaks are better winter tires so my next winter tire might be blizzaks instead of sottozero.

the m3 is a great winter car! the engine in the m3 doesnt have much power down low so if you baby the shifts and shift early through every gear, you almost never have any will spin. good winter tire is key!

if you park by the street side a lot, you may need to bring a small shovel in the trunk so you can get into (or out of) the parking space. this isnt anything unusual though, i had to do this even with my previous 328i.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0