12-22-2006, 03:21 PM   #13
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdiver68 View Post
Perhaps, time will tell. Remember we aren't talking a radical boost here, only 2 psi more at maximum.

I for one am a turbo fan (no pun intended) from an engineering perspective.

In regards to the steering, forged wheels will remove a lot of weight. I just got my BBS forged on my 335i, and saved 17lbs per wheel (subject to change upon re-weighing to verify, there is some debate whether my shop's #'s are accurate). The car went from a bit dead (but with great directional stability) to being much more communicative with that change.

Finally, I'll say this. With residuals so high, MF buy rates at .0015, and ED available, a 2 year lease is an easy and cheap way to drive a 335i now, and then decide M3 or not when they are available in quantity!

I' m a huge fan of weight reduction, but (like you implied) don't you think that 17 lbs. per corner is somewhat optimistic?

Regarding turbos: I can't really say that I'm a true believer in their superiority. I owed a 997 turbo (wicked car), drove a 335 tt several times, and I have to say that I missed some of the rawness of a N/A high revving motor.

IMO, the main reason manufacturers utilize comtemporary turbo technology is either due to design limitations and well...heritage with iconic turbo (i.e. Porsche) and /or fuel economy over a big displacement motor.

In the end however, I for one do not want to be the guy owning or trying to sell a twin turbo out of FACTORY warranty. You can argue that the warranty is extensive but in reality not so much. The higher the price the less miles driven, therefore most owers' warranties term expire rather than mileage expire. Most people start thinking about their warranty expiration about 18-24 months before it expires knowing that the subsequent buyer will want some lasting warranty when buying your car. And certified usually only applies to dealer cars. Of course, if trading you have more lattitude but also take in the a_ _ !

Kind of off topic, but I 'm just venting.

I'm curious as to how many members of this board if given the choice between the E90 M3 at MSRP plus tax or the 2008 Porsche Carrera S (it's suppose to get 375-380 hp and 310 tq.) would go for the Porsche if the out the door final price was only $15k more? Obviously, the Porsche is being discounted. I have my reasons for my survey. And, consider that the Porsche has a historically terrible resale while the last generation M3's had a terrific residual.
Appreciate 0