09-12-2012, 03:28 PM   #17
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
This reminds me of the AMD versus Intel arguments back in the day, where people would use stock peak clock speeds as a lone measure of what was "faster" when in fact clock-for-clock Intel wiped the floor with them.

Look, Apple can optimize their code for a very limited set of hardware. This leads to greater efficiency which leads to not having to waste power on specs that aren't needed to run as fast and as smooth as Android on much more hungry hardware....

People need to stop staring at spec sheets and use those as a gauge of how the phone performs. Those are a halfway decent place to start, but you could have super awesome hardware in a phone and have it be a moot point if it leaks and freezes and just generally trips all over itself.... Plain and simple, iOS does not need anywhere near the same hardware specs to keep up with perceived performance on the user level. Add to that the fact that the grubby carriers insist on saddling the Android phones with crappy bloatware, and the manufacturers add their terrible, buggy, laggy, POS UIs on top of them, and it doesn't matter if you're using the flagship processor from the year 2050, it's not going to keep up.
I agree with you 100%.

As an engineering student, I can really sit back and enjoy all the intense engineering that goes into all phones(including iPhone).

People seem to be going "meh", but if you look at it from an engineering point of you, you can see how crazy they got things the way they were.

1) LTE. Yes, there are many phones that have LTE. It is not something new. However, everyone knows phones now with LTE have horrible battery life. My friend has a Razr Maxx, and he told me he has to charge it everyday. The fact that Apple got BETTER battery life(then 4S) while upgrading to LTE is a big improvement.

2) Size/Weight. Look at all the "other phones". They are all MUCH bigger then the iPhone. The fact that Apple got the iPhone 5 specs to match the GS3 and making it thinner by 18% and lighter by 20% of the 4S is VERY hard to engineer.

3) Look - Looks are subjective, but I am not a fan of the big android phones in terms of looks and style. The iPhone just looks SEXY. Most(but not all) are made out of plastic and too big IMO. Of course, this is subjective : )

Also, as you stated, its not about specs. It depends largely on the operating system. My friend has a google nexus that is overclocked(and he claims to be faster then my phone), yet when we did some test for fun, my iPhone 4 beat his. We both opened up web browser, and went to an image intensive website.

Why did I win? Who knows? He had a better processor. Maybe the safari app is better written and so works faster/better(aka more optimized). Maybe my wifi chip was better so I was getting a better wireless signal?

Also, people can't expect amazing new features to come out every single year. The original iPhone was amazing because it disrupted the cell phone market. It changed the way everything was done.

Its like cars. BMW sells a new generation of cars ~every 5 years. People can't expect an entirely new iPhone(or Android or Windows) device each and every year. Like cars, they get yearly bumps/new things, but the biggest, and most radical changes, are done in large gaps as the technology gets there.