View Single Post
      08-04-2009, 08:04 PM   #1
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

Comparing BMW to Infiniti

Ok...so I finally bought my M3 about 2 weeks ago and I can't be happier. However, after spending two weeks in the seat of this beast, I have been somehow spoiled and forgot that not all BMWs are this nice.

Before purchasing my e92 ///M3, I had a 2005 G35 Coupe with the factory performance suspension and upgraded forged 19" wheels; i purchased it new and had all options except for the Nav (which I later purchased aftermarket). Additionally, I also own a 2004 FX35 and my mother owned a 2005 G35 Sedan which I drove when I went to visit her.

Over the last few weeks, the dealer loaners that I have driven have been the 328 sedan, X3 and 328 coupe; all have been 2009. I must say, that Infiniti sure has the lower end BMWs licked. Here are my impressions:

Interior

- The cheap interior in the lower-end BMWs is far inferior to the standard leather equipped in the Infinitis

- No status LCD screen on BMW, the Infiniti comes with one standard or you can upgrade to the NAV...however, all Infinitis receive the nice screen.

- The trim is about equal on both with the Infiniti having a more appealing and creative design and use of materials (i.e., brushed aluminum)

Engine

- The engines and of the aforementioned BMW models are much less powerful than the standard 3.5L VQ engine....the new 3.7L is even better.

- While the engine in the BMWs are less powerful, they feel much more refined with a smoother power curve.

Transmission

- Not much to say here except that the BMWs seem to have a smoother tranny.

Exterior

- Purely subjective but I think the BMW Sedans look better than the Infiniti sedans but the coupes are on par....a hint of class goes to the BMW but sportiness goes to the Infiniti.

Options

- The Infiniti (being a competitor) is the best bang for the buck in this class of vehicle (entry level premium market); the amount of standard options on the Infiniti are much more than those included in the BMW.

Conclusion

If your budget can only get you a bottom of the barrel Beemer, then get the Infiniti.

When it comes to the specialty cars, BMW has this win hands down..Infiniti has nothing to compete at this level (i.e., anything ///M, 6 and 7 series, Z4, Z8).

Did I say that I love my new e92...

-SZ
Appreciate 0