11-13-2007, 01:09 PM   #9
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
I do not think you can say what distribution is "the best". Greg did find some nice data above though that speaks against the need for 50-50. The suspension, tires and brakes must work in harmony. Porsche is a perfect example. Take a design that really should not work very well (extreme rear weight bias). And in fact for many years the design did not work well, twitchy, unforgiving in corners to changes in throttle, and other nasty braking/handlign traits. Then absolutely tweak the suspension and brakes and other details to work with the exisiting weight bias. Net result is that today the cars work very well given this "handicap". They have also proven to everyone they have such a handicap with the Cayman.
I think I was misunderstood, I didn't mean add more weight, more a case of moving the existing weight more to a rear bias.

I know Porsche has done miracles with the 911 but though it's improved
beyond recognition it's still not a point where one would want to start, I think even Porsche would agree with that one.

By the way I wasn't wanting to start a debate on the subject, more understand why they chose this setup over the earlier E30 M3's setup when clearly it was so perfect that it could win a contest among such other amazing M equipment.

P.S.

I noticed in this review that the E30 M3 was the last M3 to have electronic adjustable suspension. Bodes well for the new E92 I say.
Appreciate 0