View Single Post
      06-23-2013, 09:26 PM   #55
Longwong
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 m3 catless

Can someone summarize what we have learned here for us mere mortals? What my take away is

1. The issue is bmw made the clearence for oil to properly lubricate the bearings so ridiculously small because speculation that they were doing it for noise reduction or increase in power? At the expense of not having enough clearence for the thick oil they recommend

2.Mahle recommends 5w30 with the clearences bmw is using. So why don't we all switch to 5w 30? Can someone explain the cost vs benefit of those who don't know how 5w 30 may hold up at 8k rpm?

3. No point to coated bearings for 2 reasons. First it may worsen the problem since the coating further reduces the clearences. Second even if not, it still does not fix the problem of under lubrication and the coated ones will fail as well

Last are we all just doomed if we drive our cars hard? I feel like it could go at any day.

So is there literally nothing anyone can do?

Honestly with this information I cannot see how anyone in their right mind would supercharge this car. I was going to but no way in hell now.

Any particular driving habits worse for bearing starvation? Is it a high rpm issue or hard banking on turns issue? Can someone explain
Appreciate 0