View Single Post
      02-03-2010, 11:40 AM   #3
Mr.Bimmer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Start by checking your power steering fluid. If level is correct, and your power steering pump is not making strange noises when turning your wheels at idle, I'd say it has to be the servotronic valve acting up, since it varies the assist. Only EDC-equipped (tech package) cars have it, like yours.

Start with a fluid check, and report back so one of the experts can help you if needed. But it'd help a lot if you can duplicate it, especially if you need to take it to a dealer; otherwise you'd be most likely wasting your time. Drive your car with servotronic on then off, and slow down on curves like you described above, etc. Good luck.
Thanks Elp

I just had my 1,200 mile service done, I would assume the power steering fluid level is okay. I've never heard any pump noises or any strange noises.

What is the servotronic valve?

I can get this to duplicate as the tightness/loosness is inconsistent. Coming home yesterday I was driving straight at approx. 20mph turning the wheel to the left and then right, repeating that motion at a 15-20mph pace. Sometimes the turns felt loose other times they got tighter.
Appreciate 0