View Single Post
      06-15-2010, 11:41 AM   #24
JAJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
I put the RACs back on today. Car felt spot on.
Did not pull to the right at all.
If it were me, I'd put the rear RAC's on, and swap the Advans around on the front until I found the one (if it's just one) that's wonky.

But, before I did that, I'd take a careful look at the question about hub-centricity. For instance, say someone made an error and one of the rim pairs is made for BMW, but they're actually bored 74mm for the E39 chassis (instead of 72.5mm for the rest of the BMW product line). It will look right and mount easily, but even if the wheel is perfectly straight and the tire is round and precisely balanced it'll shake like crazy.

The way to check is to take a rear wheel off (so you can use the hand brake to stop the hub from turning) and try each Advan rim on that corner to make sure there's a no-gap fit between the rim and the hub extension that centers the wheel. Pop the center caps out so you can see what's going on. Rotate the rim on the hub and watch to make sure that there's no lateral or vertical movement and no gap as you push the rim from side to side and up and down.

Once you're convinced there's no problem with the hub, then go looking for a rim that's bent or a defective tire.

Another question - you may have answered already - are there spacers used with the Advans? Depending on how they're made, spacers can cause all kinds of problems like this. Some don't fit over the hub properly, some don't fit inside the wheel properly, and some disable the hub-centric alignment.
Appreciate 0