swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Yes and no

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MML View Post
who is running BMW NA M division these days, a bunch of girls? Lets see, I have to pony up $60k for a so called "motorsport" (20k more than a 335) and I have to spend another untold dollars on options to get a higher level of performance. Just make the M car hard and fast with a simple DSC on/off button and stop screwing the customer with this idrive/mdrive/edc crap....

rant over:
If BMW really did require certain options to get the most ultimate performance from the car that may be a bit suspect. However here you are really talking more about customization and feel. The throttle mapping does not affect ones ability to give the car full throttle as fast as they can push the pedal. The setting are in BMWs opinion more suited to fine contol at the track but are they required to go fast - hardly. The same thing can be said about the missing steering settings. M-dynamic mode is also the same but something not be be missed IMO. Remember the videos of the full launch and acceleration test runs? The traction control settings with MDM use just enough engine or brake control to help you get a very nice (perhaps optional launch?). MDM also sets DSC to a mode that offers the best of both worlds - the ability to get the tail out a bit AND DSC is still activated to save your ass under really sketchy conditions.

Again these options are not required to get the most performance but for 99% of us they are very nice options related to how much fun, extractable performance and safety we can get from the car.

So as I have said before +1 on customization, esp. EDC.
-1 on getting ripped off on options (nothing new here).
Appreciate 0