02-09-2011, 04:28 PM   #20
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylydiamy View Post
First of all I have to say that member of M3 forum are much more matures then 3 forum. Although I am not a big time poster, I check out forum every day and enjoy most of the threads.

But I can't help myself asking this question to M3 owners. Every time there is a M3 vs some other car comparasion, the first thing people mention is M3's track performance. That would be fine if majority of M3 owners track their cars. I bet 95% of M3 owners never tracked their cars.

So my question is this : why do you guys take so much pride of M3's track abilities and put down other cars although you don't rack your car?

I don't mean any dis to anyone. I am just curious..
I agree that the substantial majority of M3s will never see the track, but I would say that there are plenty of people on the forum who do use them on the track. to be more relevant though, I would bet money that there are relatively more M3 drivers who bring their cars to the track than most other performance cars out there. I've been to numerous track events, and there's always strong representation from BMW ///M, Porsche, Lotus, Corvettes and a couple others - not much from other performance cars. I don't see many AMG cars or Audis, for instance.

nevertheless, don't dismiss the fact that track performance can be felt on the street. just because you don't push the limits of a car on the street doesn't mean you can't explore its competencies. there are plenty of ways to drive an M3 on the street to appreciate its exceptional balance and superb handling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirat335i View Post
When the other car is a better performer they resort to the Interior vs interior argument. You know how their carbon fiber "look" trim is the shit.
if the only thing M3 drivers cared about were straight line performance, they wouldn't have bought an M3 - a quicker car can be built for much less. everyone knows that. same thing goes for track performance - you can build a car that can lap a track quicker for less as well. the M3 has always been extremely well-reviewed for its ability to excel at so many things. cars can't be evaluated in one dimension (straight line acceleration, for example) - that's just silly. the value proposition of the M3 lies not merely in its track performance or acceleration, but also in its styling, build quality, materials, interior space and comfort. the M3's track performance really only becomes impressive when you consider its ability to be a comfortable daily driver.

lastly, I will say that the tests of the M3 against its relevant competitors by automotive journalists speak for themeselves. while I don't have any hard data, I will say that in the many years that I have been an automotive enthusiast who does a lot of reading, I can't remember a car that has won so many comparisons and received such universal praise. there's no question in my mind that BMW hit a home run with the e9x M3. the design is roughly 4 years old and it's still glorious.
Appreciate 0