Drives: Lots of M cars

Garage List
2016 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2000 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 VW GLI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Shooting digital in snow yields at least two surprises. First, most of your shots will look unexposed because the exposure meter reduces exposure to try to make whites look grey. Also, there'll often be a blue cast to snow shots.

Both problems are easily fixed. Shoot in Av or Tv mode and use +1EV as a baseline setting. Take a test shot and if hightlights are blown out on a bright day, then reduce EV until the highlights aren't blown out any more. On an overcast day you may need to add even more +EV.

To get the WB (white balance) right, shoot in RAW and adjust the whites to be white in conversion to jpeg. This is one reason to always shoot in RAW, so you can correct of WB issues after the fact.

Use shutter speed up in the 1/1000th to 1/2000th second to stop your movement and the SBoarders, except if you want to show blur intentionally. Don't be afraid to shoot up to ISO 800 to get all the +EV and SS.

Dave
Very interesting. Thanks! This is something I will have to try when the snow falls. It's been rainy and I've been slammed with school so I haven't had time to do any shooting.
Appreciate 0