M3NTAL
Baller, Shot Caller
United_States
Rep
Drives: MINI Cooper S, AMG G55 & more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qship View Post

M3NTAL
Lighten up on the ignorance. I am not a dumbass.

x is what I typed in when I was poking around in the controls for a way to delete the account. There is no mystical glow around Autobahn, normally it is choked with trucks from all points in Europe. On the rare Sunday when trucks are banned, or at night, that Zen of cruising for hours at high speed is the difference, and I have been up to this mischief for eight years now. Years ago, I used to drive at very high speeds in the USA. Difference is that there are quite a few high power cars that prowl over here getting from A to B, and a match up is very, very common. It develops shifting skill. Not a late night solitary "if-that-detector-goes-red-where-is-the-next-exit-before-the-radio-roadblock" type of thing. Unless you use a jammer.

My best average times on road trips have been in France (before the newer laws) and in the USA. The Autobahn is as you point out correctly, a lot of speeding up and slowing down, but at least the morons are semi-looking for someone coming from behind. It trains shifting.

Now that you finally opened the gear ratio argument, I was out on my single speed fixed gear bike this afternoon, and had time to think about a way I might be able to explain this in the face of so much adverse conviction. The ratio on my bike is fixed and single speed (track bike.) That means if I want to go faster the only thing I can do is spin faster to increase speed. It also means that for every pedal revolution I travel a very specific number of meters.

This is identical to what an engine mated to a transmission does. The RPMs have a direct effect on the net number of meters that are dished out by the back rotating wheels. A higher RPM translates to more meters (depending on the ratios) unless the competing car is very quickly increasing its RPMs with a higher gear and better ratio and more power. A 997 TT has to shift somewhere between 6500 and the redline of 7100...and it takes a hit on HP for each shift from the fans spinning down and spinning back up...correct me on this point. That means that if the normally aspirated M3 can rev 1300 higher it can twist the back wheels for more -total meters- despite the lower engine power under that relationship, no?

In the end, nobody believes me here, or believes the silly story that I am telling. That is ok. I must admit that the posts once I started whining about how nobody loved me have gotten much better.
I'm willing to forget this. But how you kept pushing and how you told the story, seemed like you were saying the M3 is faster than the 997TT. If you would have come out with the statement like you just did, like "I know the M3 isn't faster than the 997TT, and I really don't know exactly how I beat them, but I did..." There wouldn't have been anger, put downs, from me or from other people. I acted slightly out of line, but people will call you stupid when you say something as far fetched as you did and seemed to ignore the facts we posted. That doesn't justify how I acted, BUT that's the logic that I followed.

I'm sorry for being so rude, but it seemed like you wouldn't pay attention to anything we were saying, so IGNORANCE was the word I thought best described the situation.

Now that you seem to be coming back down to earth I think that I would be a good idea to start a thread in this forum, apologizing for the misconception and stating what you really believe.

You're cool dude, just lay low and make some good posts about things, and don't fake anything, if you don't know about something don't act like you do, or you'll get more bullshit. I had a rough landing here too, so we're kinda in the same ballpark. Enjoy your M3, I'm still waiting for mine (DCT), and share your enthusiasm with others here on the board. Some are jerks, but I think you'll find most of them are just well educated enthusiasts, that love the M3, just like you and I do.