12-23-2007, 04:36 PM   #204
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast. View Post
However, my feeling is that unless you have a significant number of extremely powerful cars in a general weight range, each with very good balance and state of the art awd technology that can separately and specifically apply power to each wheel, you don't have as complete a data base as you need.
I see what you are saying now. That's a good point.

What I would like to do is to do some analysis on non-production cars on various curcuits. For instance, it would be cool to do it on pole times for touring cars in different curcuits. But the car specs are usually not available for that category.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast. View Post
Your numbers show it to be an extreme flyer, but you pretty much don't have enough data in the data base that's comparable enough to actually come to a good conclusion. Capische?
Sure. It's not possible to know why it posted what it posted. My "guess" is that it is most likely under-rated, but that's just a guess. I am sure it is possible to safely extract more than 480hp from that engine with turbos, and given how motivated Nissan is to beat the 911T, I don't see why they wouldn't have gone for it.

It is also possible that Nissan has done excellent work on all subsystems of the car without cost-induced compromises (BMW seems to have done some of that in the M3 with the brakes), optimized the interfaces to perfection, stuck an ace driver in there, and there you go! However, it is not all possible that Nissan has made some huge leap in any given subsystem unless they have used some exotic technology, which to the best of my knowledge, they haven't. Potential gains in the current subsystems are fairly incremental given the associated technologies have been in development for a long time.

I can't recall who recorded the 911T time, but if it isn't Porsche, that makes even more sense, since it can be argued that the 911T could have done better as well if Porsche took it on as a mission to record the best possible time, which Nissan seems to have done. But then, watching the GT-R video, there is at least one pass where the driver lost time and parts of the track were wet, so they could have done better, too.

Anyway, just rambling. The rating issue with the GT-R engine will be cleared up once multiple more accurate test results are published.

Happy holidays Bruce.
Appreciate 0