View Single Post
      09-09-2010, 07:15 PM   #1
MaxL
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, Cayenne T, 991 GT3

Mechanic in downtown Toronto?

Just got some maintenance work done on my car, and as I had all the parts and was VERY short on time, I just walked into the shop 50 meters from my house and handed them the keys (very "smart", I know). Anyway, I saw some sleeks in the shop and some Japanese car going through an engine transplant or something of that nature, so I figured they will not screw it up.

But the dude charged me $200 tax in for full brake system flush, change of pads, oil change and safety inspection for a track event (I brought all parts with me). Seems too much for the work only. Is it?

Why I'm asking is that I kinda liked the place for maintenance stuff - walking distance, owner in the shop, and the dude seemed to care (e.g., talked me out of changing brake lines because said my problem was in the boiled fluid, not the lines, told me that one of the tires will not take more than 2 track days etc). But if he is screwing me on the charges, I will not feel good about using his services, even if I do not care about the money I'd overpay.

So is $200 fair for the work (pads, fluid, oil change, track event inspection form) or did I get screwed?

Also, any mechanic recommendations in Annex/Yorkville area or a short cab ride from it?
Appreciate 0