United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcannon2 View Post
Hi all,

I've been looking pretty closely at 2008-2009 BMWs for the past few months, and wasn't able to find exactly what I wanted for quite some time. I was initially only looking at AT cars because I don't know how to drive stick.

I came across a craigslist posting for a 2010 335i for $25k with 54,000 miles and instantly contacted the seller, since I felt it was a solid price. The ad didn't mention whether the car is an AT or MT -- turns out it is an MT.

If i was to purchase this car, it would be my first manual car. In fact, I've never even driven sick before.

To all of you MT owners out there, would it be a crazy idea to buy a 335i as my first manual car? I don't want to damage anything and will probably have to be pretty gentle. How long will it take me to learn? (None of my friends drive stick, either.) The owner of the car would be willing to give me lessons.

Thanks
Stick is EASY to learn......however you need some open space like a parking lot or or an empty street(s) where you can just go in circles and mess with it. You do, however, likely need someone to show you the ropes.

I learned to drive a stick in 15 minutes and practiced for 1 hour in a parking lot before hitting the streets with it.....after BUYING a car with a stick without knowing how to drive it! LOL. The difference was i bought a used car from a car dealership, where they let me practice in the parking lot for about an hour before i went out into the street.

Where do you live in NYC? Some parts of NYC are easy to drive with a stick...some take a bit more effort. Overall, it is still VERY rewarding to drive a manual. BOTH of my cars are manual. I drive 120 miles a day through NYC and LI.

I think a 335i would be fine as a first car with a manual! easy clutch and nice shifter.
Appreciate 0