View Single Post
      09-16-2011, 12:41 PM   #80
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
Yup, and I agree the Boss is different from the GT but I wouldn't say it's much better. I think all of my issues with the Mustang would be solved by a 10% size reduction (weight is fine at 3500lbs, not worried about that) and about $10,000,000 in additional development time on the chassis. I'm thinking they're getting the best they can get from the current nearly 7 year old platform with the Boss. It's probably going to take another model cycle before I'm really happy with it but they're moving in the right direction and that's A Good Thing. Just think about what the "tire volume knob" aka "steering wheel" was like 12 years ago when the new edge cars came out, and those were considerably better than the SN95's. The M3 and M5 were the benchmark back when the Mustang was a car that only survived thanks to rental agencies and hairdressers and a few really lunatic fringe enthusiasts who just wanted a Mustang. If you wanted a competent performance car in the pony car segment you bought an F-body.

Building a great car for the money is one thing, building a great car that is great because it's great is something else. Ford is *almost* there. The fact that Ford is so close is just more proof that we live in the golden age. It wasn't always true that I would be happy driving anything made in this country short of the 'Vette and now even if we closed our ports to imported fully assembled vehicles tomorrow there are several to choose from.
Precisely, they are still on the S197 platform. When the newer platform comes out in 2014+ I think we will see a completely different Mustang.

Dave
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0