05-14-2012, 09:52 PM   #3
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007MCoupe View Post
Are you talking about like how Maldanado moved over to block Alonso? Or more along the lines of the tires sliding across the surface going into and through turns?

At first I thought he meant the latter (which as everyone knows is much slower), but after re-reading a couple times, I'm pretty sure he's talking about Maldanado moving over towards Alonso at the start.

I actually agree -- it's a good question. It's clearly a defensive move when the pole sitter doesn't get a great start. I'm sure it could be precisely calculated if we knew some of the variables.

I already deleted the race off my DVR, but IIRC, it was David Hobbs who said he was wasting/losing time moving over on Alonso. My gut tells me he did not lose much time moving over, he already knew from the launch that it was going to be close at the first corner.

It was not an aggressive move compared to other starts (aka "the Schumi chop") as we've seen from others. For reference, look at Japan 2011, where Vettel did the same pushing Button almost on to the grass at the start and keeping his position:
Appreciate 0