View Single Post
      04-16-2013, 11:15 PM   #62
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC919 View Post
My question is why have some throttle actuators failed on practically new cars and others on cars with considerable mileage? If it happens to a car that is very low mileage, that would probably mean a problem with the manufacturing of these throttle actuators, whereas the older ones could just wear out.

Either way, in my mind this is a design flaw with these BMW V8s and I am happy to at least not be paying for the parts because the quote I recieved for each bank was atrocious.
Like I said earlier, it's definitely an annoying problem to get. But to me it's not enough to hate the S65. This is a problem that can be fixed with $800 and an afternoon. Unlike the VANOS tabs shearing off and potentially destroying an S54 for example.

And also, this is not just a V8 problem. The V10's use the same actuators and have had the same issues too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Good news - CEL went off on its own when I started it up after work.
Good to know. So I guess nothing needs to be reset at all then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Same reasons any other manufactured good might fail at varied points in its life - nothing is 100%.

It could be due to mishandling prior to assembly as well. These are probably not very resistant to being banged up or dropped, despite the rather thick casing. And based on playing with my failed one vs. the replacement, it would be tough to tell from inspection when one is bad, or presumably also when one has an internal damage just waiting to knock it out of spec.

The actuators are definitely failing prematurely, agree. The rest of the engine - at least the S65 - is very solid to my knowledge. Well, except those pesky rod bearing troubles (knock on wood).
Personally, I doubt this has anything to do with the part being banged up prior to going in the engine. IMHO, there's a design flaw that we just don't understand yet. I think it has something to do with fatigue, whether it's mechanical or electrical, I don't know. And some cars wear faster than others.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0