View Single Post
      07-05-2013, 05:43 PM   #61
s65e90
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleen View Post
Agree with the trucks being big culprits, since they're not controlled as much as passenger vehicles.

COMBINED, they are the cause of 21.6% of the US emissions:
http://www.wri.org/image/view/9528/_original

The pros of this is it's something we can change immediately by just changing what we drive. That being said, I will shop for a car that fits my budget AND needs, so electric is not yet for me.

BUT if enough people switch and there's enough demand, the tech will continue evolving until it's commercially viable to adopt electric vehicles for freight. You say we need better battery tech. I agree with you on this. But it's only through demand for more electric vehicles that companies will invest in R&D. I see it as a chicken and egg thing.

Also about emissions: I dare you to connect the exhaust of your vehicle to a mask and put that mask on... see how long you last. THAT is the stuff we breathe.

I don't see how your phone relates to this discussion...

Btw, how long is your daily commute? Model S has an EPA range of 265 miles. My M3 goes 275 miles on a tank of gas...

About electric being silent... yeah, the exhaust tone is gone. This is not bad, just different. Test drive one, you'll see.
When the exhaust is gone you hear other sounds, like the wind rushing by, the tires rolling. I love the exhaust tone of my M3 but would definitely not mind hearing those other things.
Imagine how much quieter cities would be!

Electric motors have instant torque indeed! This is one of the best features. No gas car I have ever driven compares in this matter. For the US this is ideal since we don't go over 100.

Hopefully my next car will be electric.

EDIT: Addressing the Prius battery issue, I can't comment on that particular battery since I'm not familiar with it, but Telsa Roadster owners report around 2.9% drain/year
http://www.teslamotors.com/forum/for...-2008-roadster

I'm sorry but can confidently say you are not a guy car if you think an electric car may suit you one day.

P.S. I could drive 2-300 miles in a half day, then what. Electric cars are still way out there and not the answer. What do we do w/ all the used batteries. Know how much a battery cost? This is also an extremely high voltage system. Additionally, the initial cost is never realll realized in most cases.
Appreciate 0