Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by abisson View Post
Like it was brought up before, these days, most people will be regarded as "weird" or "not up-to-date" regarding technology if you don't have a FB account, Twitter and so on. I mean, try to go apply for a tech company in Cali or NYC, and when the guy ask you "What is your FB account" and you say "sorry, I don't have one, I am afraid it".... the guy will look at you like "wtf?".

The website offers you to calculate your reputation/social score/web attitude. The point is that if you have Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter and all that, but you are being respectful, do not post stupid pictures, and do not insult everyone, it shows that if you can behave on a platform where you are a "virtual" person, you are most likely to behave as a "real" person in the society also.

By having all this tools, but behaving within those tools, it shows what type of person you are. If you have over 10k+ followers on Twitter, and you post interesting stuff and people like you... you are mostly likely not a socially awkward person, therefore getting a good reputation according to Reppify.

Yes, some people have no interest in FB or Twitter and so on, and I respect that. But at the end of the day, depending on what field you are working on, what kind of job you do, you will have to keep up with the trends. Your behaviour in these trends will show an employer much more than you think.

Is that an argument enough for you?
That's fine, and I understand and agree with what you're saying. There wasn't any need to be all snippy about it. That's all you had to say.

I am still interested to see how it works with private profiles. Like I said before, my FB profile is set to full privacy pretty much. Only my friends can see me, and I'm very strict about who I add as a friend. Plus, with my common name, it would take them forever to find me. When they did find my listing, all they would see is my profile pic (which is my car), my name, and my networks. Most of my friends are close family or friends, and I clean my account off regularly of people I don't talk to anymore. If I ever see them and they ask why I removed them, I just tell em like it is. Nothing personal, I just figured if we don't talk then there's no reason to be connected through something we don't communicate through anyway.

I don't consider myself "weird," I do have a FB and I do like it, but is it weird that I'm just very careful with who can actually see my info? Besides, try looking up Mike Williams on Facebook. Good luck

EDIT:
Quote:
and as a final word, a company could make you sign something such as "We are allowed to look at your FB and Twitter and so on before hiring you", because these days, most people spend over 2 hours per day on social media, which is about 8% of your day. This is a damn good way for an employer to see how you act.
I could see that happening too, but just make another profile for fun (kept private), and give them your "work/business" FB account info.

And LOL @ M3Bahn, you know when you hover over a link in text, no matter what you put there, the actual link shows at the bottom of the browser? I don't have to click on your "mystery link" to know it's CNN