View Single Post
      12-14-2011, 06:13 PM   #34
wwjd15
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 M3 MR

I'll chime in with some of my experience on aero on street car.
Will putting a wing as big as mine on M3 perform better than stock? I say NO. And it's 100% NO. It will be slower, less turn in response, mid-high speed rear understeering and it will drive ugly.
But why I still put it on? I need rear downforce. At Fontana with my stock aero M3, during turn 1 I was doing 120+mph and the car wasn't that stable but I thought it's ok. I drove it whole day until I broke my front under panel. I had no clue why it came off. So I checked out the photos that shoot by track photographer. I saw that my front end was touching the ground at turn 1, and the rear end was sky high like a 4x4. I decided to get a wing after the track day.

To complete the wing, u will need a real front lip, a set of good and wide range adjustable coilovers, and also dial everything in with the tires and sizes you are running. Then turn the suspension to the spec where the driver wants to be. It includes camber setting, front and rear ride height, compression and rebound.

It sounds very complicated and it sure does. U will also need to change wing angel according to the tracks.

Some forum members have asked me if they should get a wing for their M's, I always respond 'hmm, it depends'.

To sum it up, I believe my wing works good on tracks and streets too as u can see my pic above. You might wanna bring out your car at the track and experience everything. U can definitely prove me deadly wrong by running a faster laptimes without a big ass wing. Hopefully see you at the track or car meet.
Appreciate 0