View Single Post
      09-30-2014, 05:28 AM   #5
woptang22
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 BMW M3

Thank you for the explanation. Honestly Id like to keep the same tires I have on the car. So it looks as if your website doesn't have 265/30/19s or 275/30/19s in the Advan Sports. But I have a question. Would it be a bad idea to run Advan Sports in the rear and Advan Sport v105 in the front? Id rather use the same exact tires but if its not possible than I understand. Also is the treat pattern and tire look or the v105 pretty similar to the Advan Sports? I don't want to put anything on the car that looks totally different. Could you also PM me prices on these tires in the sizes listed above? Im just not sure if I want to go 265/30 or 275/30 fronts yet. Still deciding. THank you again. EDIT. Actually after looking on your website, it doesn't look like either the advan sport or advan sport v105 are available in 265/30/19 or 275/30/19. Unless Im missing something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben@tirerack View Post
There is/was a tire that was named Yokohama Advan Sport (they are being phased out in some sizes by a new model.)

You can see the Advan Sport on our site.

There is also a new Advan Sport V105. Those are new this year, and have not arrived in most sizes, so I would be surprised if that is what you had.

For those that are interested in the evolution of Yokohama's max performance tires:

The Yokohama AVS Sport was their top performance tire in the early 2000s. They had a fairly radical looking directional tread pattern, great dry grip, wet grip that was only decent, and very stiff sidewalls. The stiff construction gave excellent steering response at the cost of a stiff ride.

The Advan Sport replaced the AVS Sport. It was a much more civilized tire in terms of ride and noise. Wet traction was dramatically better. Dry traction did not advance relative to the competition. It was less of a hooligan tire, more of a 'grown-up' performance tire.

The AD08 came out around the same time, and that carried the flag for Yokohama in the hardcore enthusiast market.

The ADVAN Sport V105 has a noticeably stiffer sidewall than the older Advan Sport. It gets back to more of the personality of the old AVS Sport, but keeps the good wet traction of the Advan Sport. Dry traction is top tier. Wet traction is some of the best available. They actually edged out the PSS in wet track lap times in our test, and came within a few 100ths in the dry. You can view the full test results on our site.

I wish there had been more of the V105s available this summer, as I probably would have sold a good number of them. Something to keep on your radar in the future if you like a tire with a very firm sidewall and want something with grip similar to the PSS.