View Single Post
      09-26-2013, 01:07 PM   #192
late apex
No Guts - No Glory
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
I don't forget that I'm part of a small sales group. I just realize that BMW doesn't make anything that targets me anymore. The used to, but they've shifted to targeting non enthusiasts, and the product has followed (as have increased sales, since there's more of them).

In 2002, I wanted to own every car that BMW made. Today.... I want to own every car BMW made in 2002.

Today, the F30 3 series has worse driving dynamics than the competing Lexus or Cadillac. That statement would have been so absurd in 2002 that you would have instantly lost credibility for anything else you said.

BMW built their brand on appealing to enthusiasts (the 2002 and tii were what established them in the USA, and were the first sport sedans), and at this point have 100% forsaken us. It's certainly good for their short term sales, but I do wonder how it will effect them long term. The exact non enthusiast they're targeting buy them over Mercedes/Audis precisely because of their "ultimate driving machine" reputation. At some point, that will no longer be what they're known for... and then they're just a worse Mercedes.
What would you like to see BMW offer? The M cars are faster now than they have ever been, yet they're more efficient and luxurious. As long as BMW continues to improve performance, I don't think they've completely turned their backs on enthusiasts. They've simply taken on the challenge of appealing the masses while still offering something that enthusiasts can use on track or canyon roads.
2010 Corvette ZR1 - sold
Appreciate 0