View Single Post
      07-10-2008, 12:08 AM   #18
sg335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

[QUOTE=lucid;2952763]This time, I pushed the car harder, and MDM was problematic--especially in 2nd gear coming out of a hairpin going uphill. You set the car up the right way, start gradually throttle steering, nothing's out of line or problematic, you apply just a bit more as you are tracking out, and then MDM doesn't like the slight drift and cuts power. The issue is the rear end is unloaded and the car gets unsettled. It's not as if that induces a spin or anything since who knows what else MDM is doing at that point to keep the car straight, but you just kind of get stuck there. I still don't feel comfortable with turning it completely off, but I was pretty close to doing so as this kept on happening./QUOTE]

Did you try third gear in the same corner and what was the outcome? What was your RPM at entry, apex and exit? I assume you entered in second gear.

How did you set the car up for the turn? You only say you set the car up the right way. Did you late apex the hairpin which will give you a faster exit in a straighter line? How did you throttle steer at around the apex and approching the exit of the turn? At this point in the turn, you should be gradually applying throttle to make a smooth exit under maximum power without wheel spin. How are you drifting on exit of a hairpin turn? You may have been power sliding the rear through the turn but not four wheel drifting out of the exit at those speeds. Maybe just a confusion of the word.

Please don't take any offense to these observations/comments. They are intended to figure out why your are experiencing your observation at this particular section of the track. I think you are using too much throttle and speed through the corner. You should be at maximum braking into a hairpin and may do all your braking in a straight line before turn in, or may utilize trail braking up to or before the apex, after which time you will be on the throttle at a position capable of transitioning the car back to an appropriate exit speed. If you wheels are spinning or the rear end is getting out of line, you are slower through this corner than if you are not spinning, and remember this car has an LSD. With an open diff, it would be much worse. To really determine how much power you are really using, when safe to do so and no other cars are in back of you, turn off stability completely and drive this corner the same way and at the same speed as with it on. You will see just how smooth you are and when and how much power you need to keep everything in check. Just be careful and spend an entire session just working on this corner trying different lines and speeds until you get it right. Most drivers use too much throttle and driving with stability off teaches you good throttle management. The gas pedal is not a light switch with an on and off only position. It is a dimmer switch with 100 points of adjustment between on and off.

Good luck with your testing
Appreciate 0