View Single Post
      09-22-2010, 09:07 PM   #1
1MORELAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 911 GTS '19 X3, X5, X7

Question Is Powerchip a custom tune? What about OE?

It seems that some people that get Powerchip end up getting a custom tune for their cars but some just get a flash and go home.

This is definitely not clear on the Powerchip (PC) web site.

I assume that PC has a base map, that then the flashing dealer has the ability to modify to optimize for one's car. Is that correct? If so:
  1. Are the modifications made globally or is a custom map written? Meaning, can they change timing or AFR at specific throttle and RPM points or only modify a global parameter that affects all RPM positions. So you can add timing or go leaner across the entire band versus just where you need it?
  2. What is OE Tuning and PC and Giantini relationship? (I do not care about uber details, just a clear go to this person for that.)
  3. Reflash, reflash, reflash... how does that work, especially if a custom map was made for you...
  4. Readiness codes... I need to check about WA, but it seems that if I got primary catless, the software will disable CEL but never clear readiness code. That may not pass emissions. To fix that I would need to flash to stock and install cats... Now, if my car does not need to be emission tested for 5 years - I do not care... but what is the skinny here?