View Single Post
      03-26-2008, 08:20 PM   #17
jaaz
CArbon BlAck
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 35i SAV

I test drove one last weekend and agree with your comments on the manual tranny. I hated the long gear shift throws and light clutch. Also, it seemed like there was no room for error in first gear--either you shifted perfectly or the car would buck like a bronco. It put me off a bit, have to admit.

On the other hand, the handling/suspension, sound of the engine, steering wheel, seats and exterior were all amazing.

In sum, I think it comes down to simple economics. I actually have an opportunity to trade in my 335i lease and purchase an IB M3 coupe at MSRP. Thing is, MSRP on an M3 with similar options that I have on my 335i is 69k.

Besides the fact that I also love my 335i, I'm finding it hard to justify paying $20k more for the M3. Of course there's a difference between a 335i and an M3, but is that difference worth $20k? That's the real question.

I really wish BMW would have kept the price of a loaded M3 near $60k. That was the sweet spot, in my opinion, and they missed it big time.