aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
I'm curious what they will answer to your Email...IF... they anwser ?!?!(when yes...please let us know)
BTW....good written of you
I got a response today along with the attachment. Very interesting reading. Also read the attachment.

"Thank you for your feedback on the use of the BP Ultimate Petrol.
Without seeing the pictures I can provide the most likely cause of the condition you are seeing

Fouling of spark plugs with blak oily material indicates

1) too much fuel in the combustion chamber
2) burning oil due to sticking oil control ring

If your plus are fouled with a black carbon then I attribute the condition of your spark plugs to number 1 for the following reasons

Your mileage is 37,000 km in 5 years which is 7000km per year or 140 km per week or 20 km per day

Cars of this type will run fuel rich for the first 10 to 15 km of operation while they heat up the catalytic converter to reduce exhaust emissions

Typically it means that your car is running with a rich fuel mix a lot of the time It also means that you are keeping fuel in the vehicle tank for a long time and under those conditions and especially with high ambient temperatures such as Perth has experienced this summer the fuel will get older more quickly which means it gets heavier and the fuel mixture becomes richer and results in spark plug fouling. I have attached a document that describes this.
If that is the case then with the onset of winter there will be no further issues, for future summers which are likely to be hotter then filling when the tank is half full will prevent this problem.

In my experience the condition you describe is typical of cars that have low mileage for their age irrespective of which fuel they use and I can say that it would have been worse if you were using a lower octane fuel.
Another solution is to fit a hotter spark plug which will burn off the carbon and it would be useful to discuss this with your service agent.

I hope that his has answered your question satisfactorily.

name deleted

Technical Manager
BP Australia"
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Petrol Life in vehicle tanksv4.pdf (77.3 KB, 130 views)