08-19-2008, 11:08 PM   #130
Irb Digital
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M E90 MANual Jerez

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtPE View Post
heat is thermal energy...and it can perform work...

temperature is a measure of heat energy...
the correct term(s) are heat or thermal energy dissipation...

1 not really...for a given speed it would be ~ the same...
but braking would take longer for the same pedal force because the tire is not perpendicular to the road...friction decreases...you would have a bit more to get rid of due to the elevation change (potential energy) Ep ~ m g delta h

2 not much...the cars mass would remain the same
distance would ~ the same...
although heat dissipation would improve due to larger thermal mass

Thanks for the answers. So it seems heat dissipation is a correct term? Now I can't lie, some of the stuff you say, is right over my feeble mind. Some of the stuff makes sense, and some doesnt(to me). I will just question what doesn't.

1. In regards to your answer to my first question. IMHO the tire is still perpendicular to the road, the vehicle's center of gravity is what changes. If a vehicle is braking on a downhill more weight would be sitting on the front tires. Wouldn't this increase friction as well as contact patch? You answered not really but looking at the last sentence it seems that there is a direct relation between (E ~ pE) and the elevation change, due to gravity.

2. Now on to the second response, I'm curious to this response, as I was under the assumption that the momentum of the heavier rotor(unsprung weight) would have an inverse affect on performance.

Interesting.....
Appreciate 0