Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusJ View Post
Dave. In those case, I have the reflex of lowering the iso and then getting a faster shutter speed; which lowers the exposition until its acceptable. Is there anything wrong with this method over the -1ev one?

I find that the lower the ISO, the more detailed the moon is. Then with the SS, you control your exposition until you're good to go.
I'm not understanding what mode you're shooting in. Lowering ISO will slow SS, not raise it. In any Auto mode, like Av, Tv or fully automatic, the sensor will take an average reading and then over expose the moon as a result. You could switch to Center Weighted or Spot for metering and then get a good reading, but I prefer to simply spin the EV dial to -1EV, chimp the preview and raise or lower EV until I get really good detail with no blow outs.

If you shoot in manual mode and lower your ISO while keeping the SS and f-stop the same or even raising the SS, then it's the same thing as lowering EV in one of the auto modes. I grew up shooting Manual mode, but I prefer to use the meter that I paid a lot for in my camera. The key is knowing how the meter works with different light sources.

Dave