View Single Post
      03-21-2008, 01:53 PM   #5
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJerman View Post
Curb weight for a 335 is only 3571, that's barely 200 pounds more. I don't get where the 135 has so much appeal. It looks like a jap car to me and doesn't weigh a whole lot less. I'd rather have a BMW that actually looks and feels like a BMW. A little weight reduction on your own car (and maybe a diet, haha), and your 335 can weigh as little as the 135 does. If I remember correctly, the 135 has the same suspension and everything as the 335, so there's no gain there either. And for the price...? I personally think BMW failed horribly with the 1 series.
The funny thing is, I have yet to see one remotely negative review.

The supsension actually is different, and slightly stiffer.

It's for people who don't want a big car, basically. The 335i is excellent, but I don't need a car that big. The cars I primarily cross-shopped the 1'er with are the Z4MC, and the C6. Decided I needed a back seat, but don't need something as big as a three series.

I don't really care about brand image, badge snobery, or curb appeal. Fun to drive was my primary consideration, and the 1'er offers as much (or more) driving fun compared to the 3 series, with less bulk, and less cost.

For me, it was a fairly easy choice. If I needed a bigger car, it would have been a 335i. Since I don't, the 135i is a good choice!
Appreciate 0