View Single Post
      11-28-2012, 11:57 PM   #15
crabman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilia@IND View Post
The key is a strong relationship with your service adviser. Many of our clients head to our local dealer for any necessary warranty work with no issues. Our local dealer is very familiar with ESS kits and understands that the kit will not contribute to component failure, and so the guys there are perfectly willing to service supercharged cars.

Some dealers are great, and some are awful from a service and warranty standpoint. Ultimately the dealers that understand the fact that most M3 enthusiasts who modify their cars are very brand-loyal and will likely purchase more BMW cars in the future are the dealers that will achieve long term success.
I love you guys and have purchased from you several times but this not the whole story. There are a great many parts in the car that the dealer cannot warranty without the regional rep coming in to have a look see and this includes pretty much every major component of the drivetrain and engine. This rep is very well trained and looking for anything that adds power. Should he find it your claim is denied. Not might be denied, denied. It does not matter what the dealer says, when he says no BMW will not authorize the parts or payment for labor. This guy does not sell cars and doesn't care how good a customer you are, he has absolutely no mercy. While there may be some people here who are such good customers that their dealer will be willing to come out of pocket 26k for a new engine and provide the labor for its installation at no cost I know for I am not one of them.

I'm no boy scout and I haven't owned a car in decades that wasn't surgically enhanced but I went in eyes open. The bottom line is most dealers will fix that power mirror, do the maintenance, etc. no issues whatsoever. Choose your parts carefully, pay attention to what associated parts can handle, you probably dont break anything. On the other hand you run into the thing you REALLY want that warranty for like that aforementioned new engine and its not going to be the dealer that decides anything, it will be that regional rep and he will say no. On the corvette forums the saying is anyone who mods their car should be capable and prepared to be their own warranty station. Its no less true here, you do these things you should be prepared to face consequences however unlikely.
Appreciate 0