View Single Post
      06-12-2013, 08:34 PM   #57
Judge
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year's_End View Post
2) There's a large deal of hate directed at the new DRM policy. As someone that has an Internet connection (like the majority of people living in a developed country, especially those that have the expendable income to buy a console and the games to go with it), has rarely bought used games, and hasn't shared a game since highschool, this has zero effect on me. This might affect the small minority of consumers that somehow have the ability to spend boo-koo bucks on a console but can't afford Internet access, and it might affect the other crowd of frugal (or low-income) gamers that can't afford new games by eliminating their ability to purchase used.
It's the principle of DRM that's the issue, not whether people can afford the internet or not. It's the idea of having to depend on Microsoft being around forever, their servers always being reliable and you always having to maintain an internet connection just to play the thing. If any of those were to go kaput you'd have NOTHING but an nonfunctional box. What if, two years from now, Microsoft were to start charging $300 a year for their online service and the price of games went up to over $100 each? Could you opt out and still be able to access your current library?

Not saying this is remotely likely or I'd be worried but again it's the principle. I like to know that I can take my old SNES out of the closet any day and dust off some old cartridges whose developers have long been out of business and will continue to play long after Nintendo goes out of business.

Last edited by Judge; 06-12-2013 at 08:40 PM..
Appreciate 0