View Single Post
      05-14-2008, 02:10 PM   #81
Yearofthe1
An ex-addict :-(
Rep
Drives: VFR1200F

Quote:
Originally Posted by whya1? View Post
By believing that you an flaunt laws that are in place to protect the common good shows that you are in fact the dangerous, egotistical driver who endangers people by believing himself better and more important than those other drivers around him. You embarass your self and the BMW community while giving us all a bad name.
Just had to add one more thing. I love your assertion that simply because I question the validity of certain laws that I Am automatically a reckless person. I know this might be hard to wrap your rigid mind around, but I don't consider most laws unbreakable rules. Laws are more like good suggestions. For instance, i take the law against killing someone as a pretty darn good suggestion, but if I were to find a man brutally raping my fiancé, I wouldn't think twice about murdering him. In other words, no law is or can ever be an absolute when free-will is involved. The real sign of maturity is to take the moral principles behind the just laws as your own, and have the wisdom to know when the letter of the law doesn't constitute an outright ban on an action you may take, as long as you don't violate the rights of others.

Speeding and/or drifting on an obviously empty stretch of highway does not violate anyone else's right. It is an exercise of free-will in the face of an irrelevant law (irrevelant only when noonelse's safety is at stake, for as your own arguement asserts, is the only reason speeding laws exist)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We search for certainty and call what we find destiny. Everything is possible, yet only one thing happens.
-Michael and Ellen Kaplan
Appreciate 0