11-21-2006, 09:20 PM   #14
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by david06M3 View Post
For a ring time to come in under 8 mins, you will need more than .9 g's. The CSL does a 7:50 flat with only 360 horses. The weight plays a big role in the lap time, but just as important if not more, is the incredible 1.4 g's the CSL achieves. For comparison's sake, I know it's apples to oranges, but the flagship (boat) SLR Mercedes posted a 7:52. The Carrera GT laps the ring in a 7:37 but has less grip than the CSL with a very impressive 1.35 g. I am not speculating, but I would like to see the e92 M3 to come in under the 8 minute mark.
My number is for a standard 300 ft skidpad (magazine number). At the speeds on this tight radius vehicles do not develop and appreciable aerodynamic down force. On the ring, at speed is where you can easily break 1g due to the benefit of down force. The amazing CSL numbers comes from a great car but also from street legal race tires! It would not break 8mins without them. Certainly the new M3 with the same tires and some other small tweaks (maybe the CSL version of it if they make one) will trounce the 7:50 time.
Appreciate 0